Code of Ethics
As most of you know shamanic practitioners are not regulated or licensed like other professions including medical doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, and various specialists. Because of the nature of shamanic practice there is no governing body, no centers of higher education and training, and no regulatory bodies. Shamanic practitioners develop their expertise in many ways including apprenticing with a teacher, studying with master shamans and the like. While many practitioners are very knowledgeable they may never have had a class in counseling skills or bedside manner. In addition there are no classes or oaths regarding ethics for shamanic practitioners and regrettably like in all professions there have been some abuses.
Because of our limited budget and staffing it is not possible for us to vet or screen each and every shamanic practitioner who advertises with us or whose name is on various lists held by organizations that advertise with us. Therefore we have established this code of ethics policy, which all individuals and businesses listed on our website agree to as a guide for maintaining the utmost integrity in the service they provide. If we receive three complaints by three different people regarding a practitioner or business we will no longer list them.
What constitutes inappropriate behavior? In our eyes any explicit sexual advance by a practitioner towards a client is inappropriate and unacceptable. Any attempt to extract or extort fees through negative threats we would consider to be inappropriate behavior. Any attempts to control or dominate the client, and insulting rude behavior should not be tolerated. These are the big ones. While we cannot list every potential problem here we still want to hear from you if you have been treated in a way that you believe to be harmful. We encourage you to contact our website and report any inappropriate behavior to us. Complaining to someone not connected with us who cannot do anything about the problem is not helpful to you or us. Please contact us with any concerns. We also welcome hearing of your wonderful healing experience.
Principles of Integrity
Bear in mind that the vast majority of shamanic practitioners are hard working, high integrity, service oriented healers who are dedicated to the well being of their clients. These are the principles of integrity that members of the Society for Shamanic Practice agree to and are expected to uphold.
- I will work in sacred alliance with Spirit, and to be informed and guided by that Source, and not my own ego, in offering service to others.
- I will recognize the wholeness inherent in every person or group or circumstance that comes for healing and to honor whatever form in which its pain is presented to me.
- I will be mindful of speech, thought, and action and their impact on building relationships both in the present and through time into future and past.
- I will be respectful of others, even in their differences.
- I will work with compassion and non-judgment.
- I will do no harm and to avoid any sexual misconduct in my work with clients.
- I will maintain clients’ privacy.
- I will be honest with clients and other practitioners, and will be truthful in the manner in which I present myself in public relations and advertising.
- I will refrain from posting any content that advertises the use of plant medicines, which are not legal in the country where this website is maintained.
- I will offer fair and appropriate fees.
- In service to others, I will keep my own life and personhood in balance to the best of my ability.